A grape is a fruit which can be eaten fresh as fruit or they can be used for making wine, jam, juice, jelly, grape seed extract, raisins, vinegar and grape seed oil. According to FAO(Food and Agriculture Organization) about 71% of world grape production is used for wine, 27% as fresh fruit and 2% as dried fruit.
Grapes are of different types and can be found in different colors like crimson, black, dark blue, yellow, green, orange and pink.
Types of Grapes:
Basically grapes are categorized into table grapes and wine grapes depending upon the way we consume them. Table grapes are the ones which we eat as raw fruit where as the wine grapes are used for the preparation of wine. These wine grapes are small in size when compared to table grapes and has more seeds in it.
Indian Grape Varieties:
India is a home to several indigenous table grape varieties that can also be used in wine preparation. Depending on the color, they can be categorized as red grapes and white grapes. White grapes are generally green in color. Grapes are of different types all around the world. Here are some of the grape varieties which are found in India.
Red Wine Grape Varieties:
- Cabernet Sauvignon
White Wine Grape Varieties:
- Sauvignon Blanc
- Chenin Blanc
Benefits of Grapes:
Grapes has many benefits all around the world, hence it is best to add this fruit in our daily routine. They can be used to cure many health issues and also can be used as a natural beauty product.
Regarding the health issues grapes can be used for many aspects. They are helpful to avoid many health problems, hence it is helpful to consume grapes in our daily diet. A medium cup of grapes every day can prevent us from many health issues.
- Prevents Heart Diseases: Grapes contains polyphenols and flavanoids like quercetin that helps in preventing the heart diseases.
- Weight Loss: Grapes are fully loaded with water and fiber, which makes full and helps in reducing the hunger for a long time. They are very helpful to lose weight as they contain only 67 calories per 100gm.
- Prevents Cancer: Grapes has several anti-oxidants which helps in preventing cancer. Anti-oxidants like myricetin and quercetin prevents the cells from suffering from free radical damage and keeps cancer away.
- Good for Diabetic Patients: Grapes have a sweet taste but has low GI of 46 which is suitable for diabetes. They can even help in the better functioning of the cells that produce insulin.
- Boosts Immunity: Consumption of grapes has an immune modulating effects in the immune system, which results in boosting the immunity. The better immunity system helps to fight against the infections.
- Helps to eliminate toxins: Grapes contains 80% of water which helps in eliminating the toxins out of the body. It is also helpful for the people who stays in sun for more time by keeping their body hydrated and prevents the loss of minerals that occurs through sweating.
Grapes are very good for beauty purposes, the daily consumption of grapes can gives lot of benefits for our skin and hair.
Reduces skin aging: Grapes are excellent anti-aging agents. They are helpful in toning the skin and reversing the aging process.
Fights against sunburns: Grapes are a great home remedy for sun burns. Sometimes, our skin might get damaged due to the sun even though we apply the sunscreen. In such cases, grapes are very helpful to fight against the sunburns.
Fights against uneven skin tone: Grape pulp is helpful to improve the skin tone due to the presence of polyphenols, hence they are very effective in curing the uneven skin tone.
Lightens the acne scars: The vitamin c in grapes helps to repair the skin by lightening the scars formed due to acne. Regular application of grape pulp to the skin will help in fade away the scars completely.
- Makes skin smooth: Grape seed extract is rich in vitamin E which retains the moisture of the skin. This extract also acts as an exfoliant. Scrubbing with this extract helps in removal of the top layer of dead cells, which results in healthier and smoother skin.
- Fights against dandruff: Black grape is full of vitamin E and antioxidants, which is helpful in preventing the hair problems. They can prevent scalp itchiness and fights against the dandruff. They are also helpful in improving the blood circulation in the scalp, keeping it healthy.
- Increases the volume to hair: Grape seeds are famous to facilitate the hair volume. By applying the grape seed oil to the hair regularly will result in increasing the hair volume.
- Prevents the hair loss: Linoleic acid present in grapes and grape seed oil strengthens the follicles and makes the hair strong and healthy by preventing the hair fall.
Grapes has many benefits as listed above, hence this is the best and available fruit all over the world. Daily consumption of grapes will help us in many health and beauty purposes.